Clinton Historic District Commission Launches Restoration recognition Program
The shop at 109 East Main Street is the first property recognized through the Clinton Historic District Commission Historic Restoration Recognition Program. (Photo by Rich Geer)
Clinton’s Historic District Commission (HDC) is launching a Historic Restoration Recognition Program through which early American Clinton properties that have deteriorated, or had inappropriate renovations and have completed appropriate restoration, will be publicly recognized.
Matted and framed photographs with captions of each such restoration will be hung in Andrews Memorial Town Hall. An unframed and captioned copy of the same photo will be given to the property owner who did the restoration. HDC’s hope is that this program will give owners of 17th-, 18th-, 19th-, and early 20th-century Clinton properties, whether in an historic district or not, an incentive to enhance their investment.
The first property to be recognized is 109 East Main Street, which houses an antique shop known as Old Beautiful and is situated on the corner of Liberty Street and the Boston Post Road. Owned by Joseph and Virginia Kabe of Waterside Lane, it was built in 1850 and is a 1.5 story building of wood frame construction with a hip/gable roof and clapboard siding. Originally built as a store, the structure covers almost the entire 0.03 acre property on which it sits and is next door to the Clinton Historical Society and across the street from Liberty Green. Until April of this year, when the restoration work took place, the building’s porch and porch stairs were seriously decomposing, the porch roof was sagging, and the chimney had crumbled. The shop now sports newly constructed porch and stairs, a porch roof now sturdily supported, a chimney that has been rebuilt, and a fresh coat of paint.