Both Employees on Duty Overdose at East Haven Assisted Living Facility
The only two staff members on duty at East Haven assisted living facility Caroline Manor were found suffering from apparent accidental overdoses of fentanyl by a visiting nurse. The facility had failed aspects of a surprise inspection last month.
A 911 call from a visiting nurse came in just after 3 p.m. on Sept. 22, according to the East Haven Police Department (EHPD). East Haven Fire Department personnel found a male employee apparently suffering from an accidental overdose in a lower level office and a female employee suffering from an overdose on the main floor. Fire Department personnel administered Narcan to both before they were taken to Yale New Haven Hospital. Their conditions are unknown at this time.
EHPD personnel determined that a visiting nurse who happened to stop by to check on a patient discovered the only two employees of the facility overdosing on what was later determined to be Fentanyl. The facility did not have any other staff on scene during this incident and while this was occurring patients were left with no supervision, according to EHPD.
EHPD Investigative Services Division found and seized narcotics, which were in plain view when officers and Fire Department personnel arrived. No patients were injured during this incident, which remains under investigation.
On Aug. 26, the state Department of Public Health (DPH) and East Haven Fire Marshal Charlie Miller conducted a surprise inspection on the 37 Clark Avenue facility and identified several violations; enforcement action was started. The facility was due to be reinspected Wednesday, Oct. 6. At the direction of Fire Chief Matt Marcarelli, the fire marshal was notified of the latest incident along with the DPH and was coordinating a response and further investigation.